Planning a visit to our area this Easter weekend? Check out a few really nice activities going on in our neck of the woods, including:
- Live music at White Horse Black Mountain (April 10-11): Black Mountain's newest venue, White Horse Black Mountain, is getting rave reviews from our guests! They've got great performers lined up for the weekend: Local bluesy folk singer and songwriter Josh Singleton's CD release party will start at 8pm on Friday, April 10. The incredible Cyril Neville of the Neville Brothers, and White Horse favorite Kellin Watson, will be performing live on Saturday, April 11, starting at 8pm.
- Live music at Catawba Vale Cafe in Old Fort (every Saturday afternoon): While browsing the fabulous selection of handmade arts and crafts at The Appalachian Artisan Society Handcraft Gallery, you can also enjoy art, lunch and live music from noon to 3pm at the TAAS Fine Art Gallery and Catawba Vale Cafe, located right next door. Acoustic folk musician Richard Valentine Tuttell adds a musical layer to the local art scene in Old Fort, which is thriving with the tradition of southern Appalachian art.
- Annual Herb Festival at Painter's Greenhouse (April 11-12): Craftsmen, vendors and musicians will be entertaining visitors to this fabulous local greenhouse and nursery. Learn more at www.paintersgreenhouse.com or see our blog entry on the Painter's Greenhouse Herb Festival.
- Easter at Biltmore (April 12): Little kids will love the Biltmore Easter Egg Hunt on the Estate's front lawn, storytelling, magic shows and getting their picture with the Easter Rabbit. Big kids will choirs inside the House's Winter Garden and the ongoing Festival of Flowers, which is currently taking place through May 17. More info on Easter at Biltmore: www.biltmore.com/visit/calendar/easter.asp
- The 54th Annual Easter Sunrise Service at Chimney Rock Park (April 12): Gates open from 5am to6am for this non-denomination community worship service, which takes place at 6:30am as the sun rises over Lake Lure and Hickory Nut Gorge. More details available at www.chimneyrockpark.com (and as an aside, they have a beautiful website that is very easy to navigate).
- Blooming Out Loud exhibit at the North Carolina Arboretum (ongoing): This special art exhibit in the Arboretum's Education Center features botanical artist Miriam Sagasti. Ms. Sagasti's art is influenced by her love of gardening and nature, so this is a perfect exhibit for Spring! More info at www.ncarboretum.org.